Sunday, December 9, 2012

Gyeong Dan 경단

It has been a really long time since I blogged, about 2 weeks I think. I've been MIA I know, and there isn't really an explanation other than I was just not bothered. Sorry about that, but I am putting up a post today.

So today I'm going to go back to posting up Korean recipes  And today I thought that I would introduce you all to a Korean snack dessert that is similar to some of the other things that I have posted before. Today I will be posting about Gyeong Dan (경단).

Gyeongdan is a type of rice cake made by kneading glutinous rice powder with hot water, shaping the dough into balls, boiling them in hot water and coating them with various sweet powders. It gets its name because the shape is similar to round jade (gyeongdan). The color or taste varies depending on the coating powder. Sesame seeds or powder can be used to coat the balls, as well as other powders such as green tea powder and mitsugaru.

Ingredients 
5 cups glutinous rice powder
1 tsp salt
120 g water
20g  white sesame seeds
20g green tea powder
20g  black sesame seeds
28g mitsugaru powder
⅛ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
27 g red bean
1 cup scalding water
2 cups boiling water
⅛ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
10 cup boiling water

Method
1. Wash the red bean and drain water on a strainer for 10 min.
2. Put water and red bean in the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, discard the boiling water and pour new water, boil it for 20 min. on medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat to low, steam it for 25 min. until the red bean very tender, pound with salt, sieve, and mix it with sugar thoroughly (52 g).
4. Add salt in the glutinous rice powder and knead with hot water. Pull off around 12~13 g of dough and roll it into 2 cm-diameter balls (total 48 ea).
5. Flatten the balls and fill them with small amounts of the red bean paste.
6. Pour water in the pot and heat it up for 9 min. on high heat. When it boils, put the rolled dough into the boiling water, boil it for about 2 min. and 30 sec.
7. When balls float up on the surface, let them float there for 20~30 sec. more. Take them out with strainer, quickly rinse in cold water and drain.
8. Divide rice-cake balls into 5 parts and coat the balls with each coating.

And there you have it, a Korean dessert that you can pack as a snack when you are going out or you can place it up on a plate nicely and serve it when you have guests over. It is not overly sweet and the coating of the gyeong dan makes all the difference to the dish.



I hope that you like this recipe because it is quite nice to have around the house for when you have guests because you can make it really pretty. 

Anyways I hope that you have enjoyed this blog post, I'll try and blog again soon. And until next time I hope that you all stay safe, happy and healthy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment